Monday 27 April 2015

Restaurant review: It's 9

Almost adjacent to Nehru Park, behind a Bikanerwalla in the famous Yashwant Place Complex in Chanakyapuri, lies the elusive It's 9 cafe. I have seen it on multiple occasions and decided to check this place out. While I have not uncovered the reasons why the cafe is named so, I was at first pleasantly surprised to find a cafe with a somewhat varied range of options on the menu in this area.

It's 9 is a nondescript cafe that spans an entire floor. The decor is light and fresh, with peppy art pieces on the walls, the music is a reminder of the pop culture from the 90's (Vengaboys, Britney Spears and so on). On to the food...

I had company who decided to start off by trying their lemon coriander soup while I, dying from the Delhi heat, decided to go for their red berry smoothie. The soup was accompanied by a bowl of croutons, and my friend was satisfied with it. It wasn't the best lemon-coriander soup he'd had, but it was not bad either. It had quite generous chunks of veggies. Plus the croutons made him happy.

I wasn't as lucky. My smoothie tasted vaguely like cough syrup and the consistency was very watery. Very.

We both got on to better luck with the food. My friend ordered the It's 9 special burger. It came in a 9-shaped bun, with the side of potato wedges and coleslaw. Again, not the best burger, but doable. The burger patty was by no means out of this world; it was average. The wedges were hot and crisp.

I ordered a stir fry veg wrap. The portion of the wrap pleased me as did the filling inside. It was accompanied with french fries that were okay and for some reason, also slivers of raw cabbage.

On the whole, I would not advise anyone to make a special trip to It's 9. It is average at best. However, I have heard good things about their pastries. The place also sells a variety of breads and savory bakery items. So visit this cafe only if you are in the 'hood!

No comments:

Post a Comment